The Places Tab is where all of the locations used in the logbook are managed and edited. LogTen Pro has a database of thousands of places throughout the world, with associated data such as latitude, longitude, and time zone preloaded. Places are used in the From, To, Route, and Approach fields.
Adding a New Place
The most common way to add a new Place will be when making a new entry in the logbook From or To fields. Anytime a location is added in the Logbook tab it is added into the Places database. Filling out the From, To, Route, or Approach location a pop-up of database Places should appear. Places in white have already been added. Shaded Places are available in the pre-loaded database, but have not yet been used in the logbook.
If a pre-loaded Place is selected, all of it's associated data will be filled out automatically in the Places tab.
Adding a Custom Place
If the Place is not in the database, it can be added manually. Tap the + symbol in the bottom-left corner, of the Places tab, and then fill in as much information as desired.
- Type = Here you can choose the type of place it is, whether it's an airport, GPS fix, VOR, ect.
- ICAO = This is the ICAO code for the place. If it is a custom place, this probably will not be necessary, because if it has an ICAO code, it should be in the preinstalled database.
- IATA = This is the IATA code for the place. If it is a custom place, this probably will not be necessary, because if it has an IATA code, it should be in the preinstalled database.
- Identifier = This is the ID that LogTen Pro will use for the Place. The identifier displayed in the field will be based on what is chosen to be the "preferred place identifier" in LogTen Pro > Preferences > General.
- Name = this is the name of the Place. Many private airfields can be found in the internal database using the Name.
- City, State, Country = fill out if desired.
- Sunrise / Sunset = once a Lat/Long is applied to the location, the Sunrise and Sunset time for the current day will be listed here.
- Beacon Type = choose the beacon type (lighted-land, etc.) if the place is an airport.
- Lon = fill out the longitude of the Place. This is important for accurate night time and distance calculation. The chosen format for Lat/Long is displayed in LogTen Pro > Preferences > General.
- Lat = fill out the latitude of the Place.
- Elevation = fill out the elevation if desired and applicable.
- Magnetic Variation = fill out if desired
- Drop Image Here = An image can be dragged and dropped here.
- Notes = any notes about the place can be stored here.
- Favorite = Click this selection to have the Place displayed at the top of the list to the left and displayed at the top of the pop-up list when filling out applicable fields in the Logbook Tab.
- Default = Click this selection if you would like this Place to be automatically chosen for the From airport in a new logbook entry.
- CONUS Rate = Per diem rates by Place for flying within the Continental US (CONUS) are used in the Overnight Report. These values must be entered with a currency symbol ($22).
- OCONUS Rate = Per diem rates by Place for flying outside the Continental US (OCONUS) are used in the Overnight Report. These values must be entered with a currency symbol ($22).
- Custom = Fill in any desired name to have a Custom field for this Place.
- Expenses = Can be added to the Place by selecting the + symbol in the lower-right corner of the Expenses section. Fill in as many of the fields as desired in the expense line.
Place Lookup and Sharing
You can search for a Place using a variety of online resources on by selecting it and then clicking the gear icon in the lower-left corner, or by simply right-clicking the Place. You can quickly share the Place data with yourself or another LogTen Pro user by right-clicking on the aircraft and choosing the desired sharing method.
Merge Duplicate Items
Duplicate items can occur in the Places tab, but they can easily be merged with the original item without losing any of the flight data associated with them. Please see Merge Duplicate Items for more information.
As logbook entries are made using the Place, these will be displayed on the right side of the window.
Search and Summary
You can search for a Place by ICAO, Name, City, etc. using the Search bar on the bottom of the window. When a Place is selected, and a summary of hours and flights is also displayed.
Additional assistance with this or any other LogTen Pro issue is available here or by contacting support in the app by going to Help > Contact Support.